Connectivity and pairing
Learn how to connect and pair your Starkey hearing aids to our apps, accessories and other media devices.
Your hearing aids are designed to work with a smartphone. When the hearing aids are paired and powered on, incoming phone calls will route automatically to your hearing aids. When your hearing aids are not powered on, incoming calls route only to your smartphone. iOS allows you to select a preference for how audio (call audio and media audio) is routed from your smartphone to your hearing aids.
To adjust your hearing aids with your Apple device, you must pair the two together so they can communicate. Please follow the instructions to pair your Apple device and your hearing aids.
- Ensure Bluetooth setting is enabled on your iOS device. Within the Settings menu go to Bluetooth and toggle to On.
- Locate, then tap the Settings icon on your iOS device.
- Within the Settings menu go to Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices.
- While the iOS device searches for the hearing aids, turn your hearing aids off and then back on. This puts the hearing aids in pairing mode.
- You will see your hearing aid name (e.g. “Chris Hearing Aids”) when the iOS device first discovers your hearing aids.
- If your name does not appear in the “Devices” list within 5-7 seconds, tap Accessibility in the upper left corner, then tap Hearing Devices.
You are now ready to use your iOS device to adjust your hearing aid. You can adjust either with the native iOS controls or with the Thrive app.
To adjust your hearing aids with your Android™ device, you must use the Thrive App and pair the two together so they can communicate. Please follow the instructions to pair your device and your hearing aid.
- Tap the Settings icon on your mobile device.
- Ensure Bluetooth is on.
- Turn your hearing aids off and back on. This puts the hearing aids in pairing mode.
- Launch the Thrive app and follow the prompts.
- When a pair of hearing aids is discovered, you will be prompted to pair each one along with one more prompt to allow the Thrive app to manage your hearing aids.
- If more than one pair of hearing aids is discovered, you will see a list; tap to select and connect to yours.
NOTE: Pairing can still be completed through the Bluetooth menu of your Android device, if preferred.
Reconnecting your hearing aids to your Android device
When you turn off your hearing aids or Android device, they will no longer be connected to one another. To reconnect, turn on your Android device and then power on your hearing aids.
The hearing aids will automatically connect to your Android device. If you are having trouble getting your hearing aids and app to reconnect, check the Bluetooth settings on your Android device to make sure your hearing aids are still paired and if not, repeat the pairing process.
For more instruction on pairing or connecting hearing aids and wireless accessories, visit Troubleshooting.
Select Fire TV devices support audio streaming with compatible Bluetooth hearing aids.