October is National Protect Your Hearing Month. That seems like a good time to remind everyone that exposure to loud noise is the leading cause of hearing loss. It’s also one of the few causes that people can actually do something about.
Today, more than ever, we have access to the knowledge and resources needed to protect and care for our hearing.
- We know what decibel levels can cause damage. Like these.
- We know how long we can be exposed before damage might take place.
- We have ways to measure decibel levels in real time. Like with this hearing app!
- We have a myriad of hearing protection solutions to choose from, including simple ear plugs.
- And, we have easy, free online hearing tests we can take to monitor hearing damage.
So protect your hearing, and help proactively prevent the biggest cause of hearing loss, overexposure to loud noise. And, as soon as some scientist invents a “backward aging” machine, we can begin to prevent hearing loss’s second leading cause.