Hearing aids are amazing! But even people with normal hearing can sometimes struggle in loud environments. If you find yourself in a busy environment, these tips can help.
- Do look at the people you are speaking with. We all use visual cues whether we realize it or not.
- Do try to situate yourself in good lighting to see everyone’s face.
- Do sit close to the people you want to talk to.
- Do use accessories like your remote microphone to help you hear more clearly.
- Do remember listening in a busy environment can make everyone tired. So take a break when you need it.
- Don’t pretend to hear and understand if you don’t. Ask the person to repeat it if you miss something.
- Don’t try to hide your hearing loss.
- Don’t try to communicate from another room. Go to the person you want to talk to.
- Don’t interrupt. More topic cues will come if you allow the speaker to finish their thought.
- Don’t be embarrassed to ask for what you need — like something to be repeated or to move to a different space to talk. You are just as important as the person speaking.
For more tips, reach out to your hearing healthcare professional. If you don’t have a hearing care provider, we can help you find one in your area. Just call 1-888-908-1845 or click here.
Join our community of Starkey Blog subscribers
Want a week's worth of Starkey blogs delivered to your inbox? Sign up here.