Approximately 60,000 new cases of single-sided (unilateral hearing loss, UHL) arise each year in the United States. The asymmetry between the two ears in patients with single-sided hearing loss makes listening in nosy environments and localizing sounds a struggle.
For patients with single-sided hearing and unequal loss, we now offer CROS and BiCROS hearing solutions in both Receiver-In-Canal (RIC) and mini Behind-The-Ear (BTE) styles.
Part of the Muse family line, our wireless CROS and BiCROS hearing aids are powered by 900sync technology to provide better understanding of speech in noise and improved localization of sounds with high-definition audio and ear-to-ear streaming.
What are CROS and BiCROS systems? How do they work?
A CROS system consists of a single microphone and single receiver contained in two individual devices. The ear with little-to-no functional hearing is fit with the microphone-equipped device, and the ear with normal hearing is fitted with the receiver-equipped device. Sound arriving at the ear with no functional hearing transmits through a wireless connection to the receiver-equipped device to help patients hear sounds from their non-hearing side to their normal-hearing side.
A BiCROS system consists of a microphone-equipped device that is fitted to the poorer-hearing ear and a conventional hearing aid fitted to the better-hearing ear that has some hearing loss.
Who should consider a CROS or BiCROS solution?
A CROS system is appropriate for a patient with a single-sided hearing loss where the loss is such that little-to-no benefit can be provided through amplification for the poorer-hearing ear. Patients with normal hearing or a mild high-frequency loss in their better-hearing ear can benefit from a CROS system.
A BiCROS system can help patients with unequal bilateral hearing loss In such cases, the poorer-hearing ear has no functional hearing and would not benefit from amplification, while the better-hearing ear (the ear with less hearing loss) requires a traditional hearing aid. In this case, the BiCROS hearing aid will transmit audio from the poorer ear to be mixed with the amplification for the better ear.
What are the benefits of Muse CROS and BiCROS hearing aids?
- Clearer and easier conversations with precise speech audibility and accurate speech detection in difficult listening situations
- Better understanding of speech in noise
- Wind, noise, whistling and feedback management for optimal speech accuracy
- Wireless functionality and connectivity with SurfLink accessories
- Customizable tinnitus relief with our Multiflex Tinnitus Technology integrated into the hearing aids
- Simultaneous processing of multiple sounds for a comprehensive listening experience that makes speech crisp and clear while keeping ambient noise natural
- Improved phone conversations with ear-to-ear streaming
Contact a hearing professional today to learn more about our CROS and BiCROS hearing solutions.
- Wiliams, V. A., McArdle, R. A., & Chisolm, T.H. (2012). Subjective and objective outcomes from new BiCROS technology in a veteran sample. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 23(10), 789-806.
- Crukley, J. & Goyette, A. (2016). Basic and advanced considerations in CROS and BiCROS fitting: streaming control and counseling. Innovations, 6 (1).